You’ve now set up an email signup landing page. Now it’s time to give yourself a pat on the back and watch the leads pour in.
Nope! You’re just getting started.
It’s easy to think that lead generation ends with email signup. You might think that lead generation ends with email signup. But nurturing leads is key: Getting them to convert, such as a subscription or purchase.
Effective emails can not only bring in leads but will also help them become customers. You need to know how to generate leads in email marketing, and five tips for improving it.
What does Lead Generation look like in Email Marketing?
Nurturing leads from your email list is the focus of lead generation in email marketing.
Email is a great place for lead nurturing. Email blasts generally have a 3% click-through rate (CTR), but lead nurturing emails have an average of 8% CTR.
Why? Why? A general email blast can feel less personal because it is sent to everyone on your mailing list.
Five Ways to Increase Your Email Lead Generation
These five tips will help you win over your leads through your email marketing campaigns:
1. Tailor your lead gen emails
Different reasons may lead your subscribers to sign up for your email list. To send relevant emails to your subscribers, segment your audience based on their behavior .
This process–segmentation–is one of the most killer strategies for email marketing. This can increase your campaign revenue up to 760%.
Email marketing uses the same audience segmentation techniques as landing page marketing.
- Demographic segmentation : Segmenting is based on attributes such as gender and age.
- Sectioning of the psychological mind : Grouping audiences with common psychological traits, such as personality or preferences.
- Geographic segmentation : Segmenting your audience based on geographic location
- Behavioral segmentation : Segmenting your audience based on past behavior like brand loyalty or purchases.
Let’s see what that last type of segmentation–behavioral segmentation–looks like in action.
HubSpot used its automatic unsubscriptions process to perform behavioral segmentation in order to create a subscription campaign.
HubSpot offers readers who have fallen behind in email engagement with the opportunity to get back in the lead pipeline. Only qualified leads will resubscribe while those with low conversion rates will be removed.
2. Provide quality resources
guiding your customers through the conversion funnel is what email lead generation is all. Your subscribers will begin with some basic information about your company and end up with a purchase. You’ll want to use an informative approach during the early, more awareness-focused stages.
You must build trust and inform your top-offunnel customers (TOFU), by providing resources that they won’t find elsewhere. Find out what resources your competition is sharing via email and brainstorm.
- Unique content What topics aren’t covered by your competitors that your customers might find useful?
- Unique angles: If your industry covers many of the same topics, how could you give an entirely new perspective on these topics?
- You could offer information in new formats, such as a podcast or video?
BrightWave, a CRM and email agency, hosted a webinar about dark mode, a topic that marketers rarely talk about.
They saw an opportunity to educate customers about the developing topic, as the pandemic was changing how people shop and work (or “this period of disruption”).
3. Do not distract from your main goal
Your lead generation emails must have a main call-to-action. This could be to buy a product or read a blog post. It’ll be easier to track the effectiveness of your emails and direct your readers to the action that you want.
Once you have decided on your primary question, your email content should direct the reader to it through:
- Make your call to action stand out: Place your main question in the first section. To make your call-to-action button or link stand out, follow the rules of visual hierarchy.
- Keep other requests to a minimum There are many emails that link to multiple pages. Try to limit the number of these links. They will distract from your main call to action.
This Wealthsimple email clearly calls for action.
This is the email’s main content Two paragraphs, a call to action and two benefits. This email can convert subscribers to customers, but it can also establish authority for leads that still require nurturing.
Editor’s Note: Keeping your calls to action clear is a great way of increasing your email conversion rate.
4. Reduce friction
Make it easy for your subscribers to complete if you use a form within an email. To reduce friction, limit your field count to three to four and test the form on multiple email clients.
This Litmus email on forms in email is a meta example.
The email form contains four fields. Three of these are drop-downs. The person filling out this form needs only to enter their email address and click a few times. It’s easy to submit!
5. Write for skimmers
Every day, your subscribers receive a lot of emails. Keep your copy simple to read so people can get straight to the point.
These tips will make your email easier to read:
- Keep your paragraphs brief: Email paragraphs must contain no more than three sentences. Anything longer will make the email seem like a wall.
- Preview emails on mobile: Your email copy will appear denser than it does on the web. Give it a quick look in mobile mode to see if you need more line breaks.
- Get the most important information first. An inverted pyramid model is used to place your most crucial points and call for action first.
Casper’s example could be followed and a list format used.
Casper highlighted some facts from an article using a list format. Each item is kept to a single sentence. Skimmers can see the most important bits of the article and decide if they want more information.
Optimized landing pages can increase your email pipeline by bringing in more leads
To generate and nurture leads using your email campaigns, people must join your list . To build a healthy email list, your landing page should follow these best practices to get email signups. Use these guidelines to structure your landing page:
- Layout that frames your call for action
- This copy clearly explains the expectations for your emails
- Call to action that is benefit-focused
- A lead magnet is a motivator
Once you have more leads in your inbox, you need to impress them with a fantastic post-click experience. Unbounce is a tool that can help you create landing pages for email marketing campaigns that convert clicks into sales.