src=”https://buffer.com/resources/content/images/2022/09/rinck-content-studio-rMuBASHufwo-unsplash–1-.jpg” alt=”6 Ideas to Make the Most of Your Instagram Bio”>
You can make an impact on people by enhancing your personality. Wear the clothes that you like best, or show off your best packaging and messaging if you are a business.
Most social media bios – including Instagram – function as your digital personality. It is an extension of what people are used to in real life. It’s the first place people go to when they want to get to know you and your brand. Your Instagram bio is the information section on your profile page. It’s where visitors get their first impression of you.
Your Instagram bio can be used to introduce yourself (and reintroduce yourself) to your followers and to communicate your value. This article will share tips and show you some examples of some our favorite Instagram bios.
What’s an Instagram Bio?
An Instagram bio is the section that appears at the top of any Instagram profile.
- Profile picture
- 150-character limit description
- Category: Business
- Contact information
- Instagram Shop
- Highlights from Instagram Story
Your bio should be your first contact point and reflect your brand and personality. A well-written bio motivates visitors to take action (Shop Now, Subscribe, Contact Us) or get them involved enough to share the content.
How can you create your Instagram bio?
Consider the following when deciding which features you should include in your bio:
- What’s your brand voice?
- How do you define your brand’s personality and values?
- What can you offer other brands and accounts that others don’t?
- What is your unique selling proposition?
- What actions would you like people to take once they have seen your profile?
6 ideas to enhance your Instagram bio
There are many ways to approach your Instagram bio. This is how to set up your Instagram bio using examples from other accounts.
Keep it simple
Many people prefer to keep their bios simple. Others simply state who they are, much like So It Goes magazine.
Some people use a simple tagline like NASA and Buffer.
Kinfolk accounts, for example, just need to set their link-in bio and business category and leave the rest of the information blank. (P.S. This strategy is unlikely to work if your target audience doesn’t need much information via Instagram as a communication channel.
All information should be provided upfront
Some bios are concise and provide the necessary information to help new followers find what they need. You can save them a Google search, if they click through multiple pages to find the information you have written.
Getaway House lists all of the locations where you can rent its cabins, so you don’t have to click on their website.
Newspaper Club offers several options for its customers: Print your newspaper, have it delivered anywhere in the globe, and receive free samples.
Ting’s Chips will tell you where to find its products right away.
Alternate imagery can be used to choose the route for the Quirky(tm). Instagram bio. This strategy is dependent on your brand personality. Not many people expect their logistics company to be “cute and funny”.
Chubby Home uses emojis to match its friendly and cute brand personality.
Visceral Home uses different fonts to grab attention. Screen readers might not be able to see fonts that aren’t available on Instagram.
Your Instagram bio is the best place to communicate your message to people and get them to take action.
Visitors are asked to sign up for the Cosmic Latte newsletter.
Byredo advises customers to shop online as well as in-stores.
SoCo Tahini encourages its customers to tag their friends using #socotahini whenever they use the product.
Offer a deal
Offer deals to your visitors to make the sale immediately – they are potential customers.
Wild One offers a variety of deals, including a discount when you buy a product or free shipping if you spend a certain amount.
25-cents off your first week’s use of Mvmt Shop.
Some customers may need more convincing than others. Let them know why they should trust you brand.
Kola Goodies does this through mentioning publications like Bon Appetit and Forbes. This can help anyone who is unsure if they should try a new brand of food.
This strategy is used by Chamberlain Coffee to highlight its connection with Emma Chamberlain, a popular founder.
Tips to get the most out of your Instagram bio
Here are our top tips for optimizing your Instagram bio.
- Be specific: You can use the 150-word space for your brand hook, to highlight new products/releases or to share a hashtag that users could adopt.
- Maximize the “link in your bio” You may have seen Reels or captions that said to “click on the link in my bio” to get more information or to access new content. The best way to direct people to your content is to use the Instagram link in your bio. A lot of people prefer to have a landing page that holds multiple links. Lucky for you, Buffer allows you to create a Start Page.
- Complete all the details. Instagram allows you to add a lot more information than what is displayed on your page. Make the most of all available tools and include Contact buttons. This will allow users to Shop from you directly within your account.
- Use a CTA (call to action) to get people to visit your page. Tell your followers in your Instagram bio if you want them to take a particular action on their first visit. These are just a few of the options: ‘Click here to do x’ or’send me a message’.
- Fill in your profile picture with something that is relevant to your brand.
You can change your bio from time-to-time
Your business and you will change – your social media profiles should also evolve. You don’t have to keep your Instagram bios static. You can make them dynamic.
You might be focusing on growth of your followers and overall metrics, but optimization is not enough. Start scheduling your Instagram posts using Buffer to build organic momentum that will transform your Instagram page into a “must-follow” destination.
Did you miss our previous article…
Leave a Reply