Digitalization is a key factor in any brand’s growth.
Engaging digital interactions with your clients are essential. This requires a well-planned digital marketing plan.
A strategy that produces results can only be achieved if you have someone who is an expert in digital marketing and knows how to call shots from the top.
You need to find a digital marketing manager with the creative and analytical skills to manage a digital campaign from beginning to end.
It is not easy to find the right person from all the resumes in your inbox.
We have teamed up to offer a list digital marketing manager interview questions that will aid you in your hiring process.
Here are some questions to ask when you interview for marketing jobs.
Let’s answer these questions!
General interview questions for digital marketing managers
While every member of a marketing team should be able to work in collaboration, it is more important for those in managerial positions.
A digital marketing manager must have the soft skills necessary to manage a team.
How do you assess soft skills?
It is best to plan your interview base: cultural assessment, skill and background assessment.
These are some cultural assessment questions that experts suggest you ask your next candidate.
- Why did you decide to go into marketing?
- What are your top 3 core values?
- Which digital marketing strategy do you prefer?
- Which areas of digital marketing do you think you excel in?
- What can you do to invest in yourself?
- Why would you like to work in our company?
- How can you tell if you are going to add value for our company?
- What makes a place a great place to work?
- Which marketing book were you most recently exposed to?
- What digital marketing gurus do you admire the most? Why?
- What are your first few months as a digital marketing manager in the digital industry?
- What would happen if your performance is below average?
- What does the definition of “world-class worker” look like to you? Do you think you fit this definition?
- What was the best part about being a member of your team?
- How can you manage multiple shifting priorities while juggling them?
- What would you do if it were possible to do everything you want?
- What qualities and skills would your team look for in potential candidates if you had the chance to build one?
- Please tell me about a time you were in conflict with a colleague or team member. What happened?
Questions about strategic and tactical interview questions for digital marketing managers
After assessing whether the candidate is compatible with company values and ethical behavior, it’s time for you to determine how the candidate can use the tools of the trade.
The position of marketing manager is a challenging one. It requires a lot of hands-on experience. I want to know if the candidate has experience with the marketing channels that are most relevant to my company. Asking questions about the candidate’s knowledge of different SEO and marketing automation tools em> is a good idea.
Neal Schaffer, CEO, Nealschaffer.com
- Which industries have you previously worked in?
- Which marketing channels have you had success with?
- Did you know that search engines can help your content rank higher? How did you do it?
- Please describe a marketing automation campaign you have set up.
- Please describe a social media marketing campaign you participated in that was successful. What was your role? What were the results? How did you achieve them?
Too many marketers only have a one-way relationship with their customers. Marketers who are truly good at communicating with customers and meeting in person when possible, learn from buyers, and determine what they need for each stage of their journey, are the best. Aside from that, I want to see how the candidate communicates with leaders and manages limited resources em>
George Stenitzer, Founder, Crystal Clear Communications
- Please tell me about a time when you had insufficient resources (time, money and talent) to complete the task. What did you do?
- Please tell me about a time when you gained insight into the buyer’s journey. What were you able to do?
- Let me tell you about a time when leadership was on the same page regarding marketing strategy. How did that happen?
“We enjoy getting to know our candidates from the beginning to see how committed they are. We ask questions to find out if the candidate is passionate and well-informed.
Dan Ni, CEO at Messaged.com
- Which skills do you think are essential for a marketer’s job?
- How can you decide which marketing channels are best for your target market?
- What do you know about our industry and our target audience?
- What is the most important thing you would add or change to our current website/social media/marketing strategy?
- Let me tell you about a time when the scope and needs of a project changed dramatically. How did you react and what was your project’s final outcome?
“The candidate should be able give an example and guide the candidate through the campaign from start to finish. You should be able to discuss both qualitative and quantitative results, as well their importance in achieving success. It is a positive sign that the candidate is happy with their achievements em>
Gerrid Smith, Chief Marketing Officer, Joy Organics
- Please describe the most successful campaign that you have ever managed. It was what made it so successful and which role did you play in that success?
- Let me know about a marketing strategy you have used recently.
- What metric do YOU consider most important?
- What is the best way to measure success in a marketing campaign?
“I ask questions about data and how it can be used to move the needle in our marketing strategies. Some marketers are too focused on the content and the continuous flow of material, rather than the results. My marketing manager should focus on the results. This can be tracked online .”
Tudor Armand Ciuleanu founder, RebelDot
- Are you comfortable using large quantities of data to aid decision-making?
- What data/numbers would you like to track in order for us to analyze our marketing strategies?
- What can you do as a marketer to move the needle?
- What was one strategy that you used to significantly increase leads?
“The candidate must have a high level in emotional intelligence and be able to balance their own feelings with those of others. Effective communication necessitates emotional moderation. Effective marketing requires creativity. The applicant must be able think up creative ideas to support the marketing goals em>
Abe Breuer, CEO, VIP To Go
- Your boss isn’t buying into your idea for a new campaign. How do you convince executives to get involved?
- How can you get a deeper understanding of your target audience
- Can you share a story about a time you used a new or unusual approach to a strategic project?
A well-trained and skilled marketing manager can have a significant impact on a company’s success. To screen a marketing manager, the questions must ask about the basic talents and abilities required to create and sustain effective marketing strategies that meet organizational goals .”
Jeff Mains, CEO, Champion Leadership Group
- Please provide an example of a campaign which did not go as planned.
- What elements are most important in influencing customer behavior?
- What is it that sets our company apart from its competitors?
“I want to get to know the candidate’s leadership, marketing skills, decision-making, collaboration and leadership capabilities. To find out if the candidate has done their research on the company and is familiar with its marketing goals, you should ask questions. This is done to determine if the applicant is willing to assume a leadership role in overseeing critical marketing campaigns and delivering the best results em>
Daniel Carter, Director, Assertive media UK
- What do you know about our target audience?
- Which responsibility are you responsible for in your current job position?
- How do you manage a product launch that is both low- and high-budget successful?
- What is a new marketing strategy that you have tried recently?
- What do you know about the recent marketing efforts of our company?
All-in-one Social Media Marketing Solution for Digital Marketing Managers
Are your clients looking for social media marketing services from you?
They hired you to manage social media across multiple platforms.
If so, things could get very hectic for you agency, especially for your newly-hired digital marketing manager.
Manage multiple accounts, post at the most efficient time, track individual data and create reports.
Woah! Already I feel tired. Consider your digital marketing team.
SocialPilot is available, so don’t be alarmed.
Switch to the best social media management tool available. It offers unparalleled scheduling, collaboration and analytics.
SocialPilot’s Agency-Friendly Features make it easy to manage clients.
Are you still waiting?
Get your trial started today, or call us to schedule a demo.
SocialPilot’s first post was 50 Questions to Ask when Hiring the Best Digital Marketing Manager.