You have an interview lined up, and you “need” it.
We understand how you feel.
Graphic designing can be a challenging job, regardless of whether you are applying for an agency or product-based business. As you work with multiple brands and styles, your responsibilities in an agency are increased.
Graphic designing is a combination of marketing and creativity. It allows you to entice your target market through a visual doorway.
Graphic designers like you need to have solid ideas and design principles, but also good interpersonal skills in order to collaborate with brands, content, and digital marketing teams.
Let’s get you ready for the interview by reviewing our top interview questions and answers for graphic designers.
These answers are provided for your information and can be used to help you decide what to say. These answers can be modified to suit your professional experience and background.
Interesting read: The Complete Social Media Video Sizes Cheat Sheet
Common Questions and Answers – Graphic Designing
1. What made you choose a career as a graphic designer?
This question can be answered by telling the interviewer your passion for creativity and talents. The passion can be traced back to when you were a child or teen.
You can emphasize any achievements or prior knowledge to highlight your points. You can give examples of your own life that you have helped others with small projects or created something new.
2. Communication is so important in graphic design.
Graphic design is all about communication. A design exists to communicate and interact with its consumers. Communication is the key goal of any design. It allows the consumer to understand the message and convey it effectively.
It is important to communicate with colleagues and the team in order for the development process to be fair.
3. What makes you better than others as a graphic designer?
You can answer by telling the interviewer that you are creative, passionate, curious and open to constructive criticism. Your USP is what you should explain to the interviewer.
4. Let me know about a time when you were under pressure to meet a deadline. How did you deal with the situation?
Tell them about any time you were unable to complete a project on time. Give them an example of a project where you had less time to deliver results. Next, tell them how much you have available.
Graphic Designing Interview Questions To Measure Skills
5. What are your priorities when designing a home?
The interviewer will want to know your views on priorities. Priorities vary between designers. To answer this question, you can choose a priority and explain why. There are several priority options you can choose from:
- Design framework
- User engagement
- Visual aesthetics
Give a reason why you chose this option.
6. Please tell me what the difference is between associative and non-associative hatching.
Associative hatching moves with the boundary. If auto CAD crashes, corrupt drawings could occur. Non-associative hating doesn’t move with the boundary and there are no corrupt drawings after CAD crashes.
7. What is 3D graphic design good for?
3D Graphic Art is a type of computer graphics animator that creates three-dimensional designs for movies, video games, and other media. Designers can visualize space and draw precise lines by creating 3D models. This allows for the pinpointing of even the smallest details.
8. What level of Adobe Pagemaker knowledge do you have?
Yes, Adobe Pagemaker is something I am aware of. It has been a part of my work history. It’s very helpful in encouraging desktop publishing. It is used to create professional documents like brochures, ebooks, visiting cards and reports.
9. Name the main components of graphic design.
These are the main components of graphic design: line and shape, color, space texture, scale, typography, and color.
10. You can tell the difference between a cross polygon and a windows polygon.
A window polygon allows the designer to select objects within the polygon. A crossing polygon allows the designer to select objects within and around the borders of the polygon.
11. What does Linked Layer mean?
We can create a relational link between layers using Linked Layer in Photoshop. Designers can make changes to all grouped layers.
12. What does Lasso mean? Please tell us about the different types of lasso instruments.
The Lasso tool can be found in Photoshop and is used to select regions that have no predefined shapes. This tool is common in all editing software and allows for the free selection of a specific region.
There are three types of Lasso tools available: the standard lasso, magnetic and polygonal lasso tools.
13. Please tell us about the fundamental principles of graphic design.
These are some of the core principles of graphic design:
- Visual Hierarchy
14. How do you understand the core principles of graphic design?
- Color: The use of color is to enhance the design’s mood. It reflects the tone of the design.
- Contrast: We can combine two or more elements that have different styles, looks, and colors through contrast. This helps the viewer to focus on important elements.
- Visual Hierarchy refers to the allocation of visual weights to various elements in a design. You can differentiate based on texture, fonts, or size.
15. Let me know about the fundamental composition rules that graphic designers follow.
These are the five major composition rules graphic designers must follow:
- One visual
- The golden ratio
- Layouts “Z” and F
- Focal point
- Grid design
16. What are your thoughts on color theory?
Communication brand identity is based on colors. This question can be answered by looking at the color scheme of the company that you are interviewing for. Discuss the importance of color and how you understand color theory.
17. How do you measure success with your designs?
I often take note of three things that give me insight into the success or failure of a design. These are:
- Brand engagement via design
- Engage with customers both old and new
- Data-based ROI
18. Which is your favorite difference between designing for digital media and print media?
Print media cannot be modified in any way. Design is more than just the colors and design elements. It also depends on the texture of the paper. The design can be physically engaged by the user.
Digital media allows the designer to preview and modify the design at any time. Design is easy to use, intuitive, and clear. Design can be physically received in any way that is possible.
Check out these 6 amazing tips to help you create a video marketing strategy for your brand
These questions and answers will help you get the interview.
Prepare for every scenario, from general questions to start the conversation to more technical questions.
Be honest, but not too casual. Wear your confidence.
While design is important, scheduling GIFs, videos, and other posts that you have worked so hard on is equally important. Your audience may not see your amazing work if you don’t post when it is most convenient.
SocialPilot is a social media management tool that can solve all your problems. It can be used to plan your social posts ahead of time, collaborate with your team, and many other useful features.
What’s more? You get a 14-day trial. Get it now.
SocialPilot’s first post was Top Graphic Designer Interview Questions and Answers You Need to Know.
Leave a Reply